The trade war is heating up… Canada breaks off negotiations with Washington

Telegram     WhatsApp

The trade war is heating up... Canada breaks off negotiations with Washington

Trade relations between the United States and Canada entered a new phase of escalation, after Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney announced the suspension of trade negotiations with Washington and the return of the Canadian delegation to Ottawa, coinciding with the entry into force of 50% US customs duties on a group of Canadian goods.

The decision came after intense negotiations that continued until the last hours failed to reach an agreement that would spare the two countries from a new round of trade confrontation, amid an exchange of accusations regarding the party responsible for the collapse of the talks.

According to Reuters, the new American tariffs took effect shortly after midnight on Saturday, August 22, and include Canadian goods worth about $20 billion, or just over 5% of total Canadian exports to the American market.

Carney said that his government decided to suspend trade negotiations with the United States and direct Canadian negotiators to return to Ottawa, stressing that Canada will respond to American measures with similar fees “dollar for dollar” to protect Canadian workers and companies.

The Canadian Prime Minister explained that his country’s negotiating team worked until the last moments to reach a settlement, but amendments made by Washington in the final stage to the conditions presented were considered by Ottawa to be unfair and economically unfeasible, and raised questions about the possibility of relying on any agreement reached.

On the other hand, the administration of US President Donald Trump held the Canadian side responsible for the collapse of the talks.

US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said that Canada refused to complete the agreement according to the terms that he said the two parties had reached earlier in the week, considering that Ottawa missed an opportunity to reach a new trade understanding with Washington.

A senior official in the Trump administration indicated that the American offer would have given Canada, according to the American vision, a better customs position than most major exporters to the United States, but the Canadian side demanded more concessions, especially in the files of steel, aluminium, cars, and soft lumber.

The talks have intensified in recent days in Washington, where the Canadian Minister responsible for trade with the United States, Dominique LeBlanc, held a series of meetings with Greer, in an attempt to reach a settlement before the deadline for the start of implementing the duties expires.

Hours before the negotiations collapsed, the two parties seemed closer to an agreement that would reduce duties imposed on sensitive sectors, including steel, aluminum, and cars, but the differences that emerged in the last moments thwarted the negotiating path.

Trump had given the negotiations an additional opportunity a few days ago when he postponed the implementation of the 50% tariffs for 3 days, after contacts between him and Carney and indications of progress, but the additional period expired without reaching a final settlement.

The new duties are in addition to existing US customs procedures on a number of Canadian sectors, especially steel, lumber and cars, which are sectors that have come under great pressure over the past months as a result of the escalating trade confrontation between the two countries.

Since July, the Canadian government had begun preparing for the possibility of Washington imposing new tariffs of 50%, and held meetings with representatives of economic sectors, unions, and provinces to discuss the repercussions of the decision and how to respond to it, confirming at the time that it had presented detailed proposals to address trade disputes and update the trade agreement between Canada, the United States, and Mexico.

The confrontation is of particular importance due to the extent of the interconnectedness between the economies of the two countries, as the United States constitutes the main market for Canadian exports, while large American industrial sectors depend on supply chains that extend across the common border, which makes any customs escalation capable of having effects that go beyond the products directly covered by the duties.

It is estimated that the direct impact of the new tariffs will remain relatively limited compared to the huge volume of bilateral trade, but the greatest fear is related to their repercussions on specific Canadian sectors, and the possibility of harming jobs and companies that depend greatly on the American market.

The crisis also comes at a sensitive time, with the two countries, along with Mexico, approaching entitlements related to the review of the trilateral free trade agreement, which may make the current dispute more complex and affect the course of broader negotiations related to the future of trade in North America.

According to the American information available so far, there are no new talks scheduled between Washington and Ottawa after the suspension of negotiations, which puts the trade relationship between the two neighbors at a stage open to further escalation, especially with Canada’s pledge to respond in kind and the Trump administration’s continued use of customs duties as a major tool in its trade policy.