Spotted them inside a building… Israel reveals details of the Barashit raid

Telegram     WhatsApp

Spotted them inside a building... Israel reveals details of the Barashit raid

Today, Friday, the Israeli army announced the targeting of a building in the town of Baraashit in the Bint Jbeil district, after it said that its forces had monitored a number of people inside what Israel calls the “security zone” in southern Lebanon, at a time when the south is witnessing a continuous field escalation that included raids, bombings, and artillery shelling in more than one area.

The Israeli army said, in a statement, that forces from the “Kfir” Brigade, led by the 91st Division, spotted earlier today a number of people who it said had crossed the line designated by Israel for what it calls the “security zone” in the vicinity of the town of Barashit and entered a building.

The army claimed that the presence of these people inside the building posed a threat to its forces deployed in the area, noting that, after spotting them, the Israeli Air Force carried out a raid on the building under the direction of the brigade’s forces.

Field reports reported earlier today that Israeli aircraft carried out a raid on the outskirts of the town of Baraashit in the Bint Jbeil District, coinciding with other Israeli military operations witnessed in various areas of southern Lebanon.

In its statement, the Israeli army reiterated its position that it will continue to act against any activity that it considers a threat to its forces or to the residents of northern Israel, accusing Hezbollah of trying to carry out military activities in the areas where its forces operate, stressing at the same time that it considers itself committed to the existing agreement between Lebanon and Israel.

Israel’s use of the term “security zone” is of particular importance in current field developments, as the Israeli army announced last June that it is deployed within a range of about 10 kilometers inside Lebanese territory, and issued a map specifying the area in which it says its forces are working to “remove threats” and protect northern Israel.

The targeting of Baraashit comes after the Israeli army previously announced the implementation of operations against sites in Bint Jbeil, Beit Yahoun, Kunine, and Baraashit, and said that the forces of the 91st Division continue their activity within the same area, while raids, ground movements, and bombing operations are repeated in a number of villages in the south.

The town of Baraashit and its surroundings, located within the Bint Jbeil district, are witnessing successive field developments as a result of their proximity to the scope of military operations. The region has been subjected during the recent period to raids, bombing, and military movements, in parallel with the continued deployment of Israeli forces in parts of southern Lebanon.

The latest raid coincided with a tense field day in the south, where Israeli bombings were recorded in Hadatha, in addition to bombings and raids that targeted Al-Mansouri and other areas in the districts of Tyre, Bint Jbeil, Nabatieh, and Marjayoun.

This escalation coincided with the visit of Prime Minister Nawaf Salam to the south, where he stressed that the state wants southern Lebanon to be under its authority and for official institutions to assume their responsibilities, while explosions were heard during his presence in the region and the raid on Baraashit was recorded at the same time.

The current developments are moving in the wake of the “Framework Agreement” that Lebanon and Israel signed with American mediation in Washington on June 26, 2026, which stipulates a gradual transfer of security responsibility to the Lebanese army in what were called “experimental areas,” in parallel with the redeployment and withdrawal of Israeli forces in stages.

The agreed upon path is based on the Lebanese army entering specific areas and assuming full security responsibility there after implementing arrangements related to confining weapons to the state and dismantling military structures affiliated with non-official parties, provided that the experiment will later expand to additional areas according to the agreement between the parties.

However, the implementation of this path faced difficulties from its beginning, as the first experience in the experimental areas showed a delay in implementation and disagreements over verification and withdrawal mechanisms, while Israeli forces remained deployed in large areas and raids and military operations continued in parallel with the negotiations.

According to the text of the agreement, the operation is supposed to lead, at its end, to the redeployment of Israeli forces outside Lebanese territory and the Lebanese army assuming security responsibility, while Israel announced in the agreement that it has no regional ambitions in Lebanon.

On the other hand, Israel’s continued use of the term “security zone” and carrying out military operations inside the southern villages constitutes one of the most prominent elements of tension surrounding the implementation of the agreement, especially in light of Lebanon’s demand for the withdrawal of Israeli forces and the state’s restoration of its sovereignty over its entire territory, in parallel with the deployment of the Lebanese army.